Fugitive Cop Shooter David Durham’s House Located In NEW Kyron Horman Search Grid

Sauvie Island and Waldport, Oregon- A statewide manhunt is underway during the last week for a suspected shooter of a Lincoln City policeman.
Durham+dog+lincoln+city+police+shooting+suspect2

Officer Steve Dodds was alledgedly shot more than once at close range while the incident was recorded on his patrol car dash cam. Dodds is in critical but stable condition. Dodd’s stopped David Anthony Durham for speeding Sunday evening after he left a co-worker’s party without his date, but not without his dog, Huckleberry.

Huckleberry has been recovered by police with only a minor leg injury.

It is not known what prompted the attempt on Officer Dodd’s life, but according to Durham’s own family members, he has been suffering from delusions and instability following a shoulder injury he sustained in June, 2010, for which he was taking prescription painkillers.

Michael Durham, David’s older brother and a Wildlife Photographer, pleads for his younger brother to turn himself in peacefully:

“I wouldn’t say that was a catalyst for anything,” he said. “You know, my brother has been having some issues with a shoulder injury and he had been on pain medication for the past few months. And we noticed that his ability to perceive what was real and what was not real seemed to diminish.” “My sister, Laurie, my brother Willie, myself and my mother, we love David and we want him to peacefully turn himself into the police,” said Michael Durham. “They assured us that he won’t be harmed if he’s not armed and doesn’t act in a threatening manner.”

David Anthony Durham, a resident of Sauvie Island, for the past six years, was a Sauvie Island Volunteer Firefighter, and nominated himself for director in 2007. Six months ago he was removed from active duty for erratic behavior. Durham is also reported to be an avid landscaper and outdoorsman.

Durham’s home on Sauvie Island, is directly adjacent to a highly publicized sighting from a tipster in the Kyron Horman disappearance investigation named “Chas” who claimed to have seen a woman with long red hair the morning of his disappearance at approximately 9:15AM on his way to work, in a white truck.

KyronKiaraLarry

Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office has cordoned off Durham’s Sauvie Island home and access is blocked by a MCSO patrol car.

There has been a 25 person SWAT team stationed at the base of the street since Monday, as well as a second team at a vacation home in Waldport.

A co-worker of Durham’s at Willamette Blueprint & Printing described her friend as a happy go lucky guy with no emotional problems and has worked there for at least 5 years.

However, Durham failed to show up for work on Friday, indicating perhaps he had concerns prior to the Sunday shooting. In a financial document obtained exclusively by blinkoncrime.com, In September 2005 David Durham claimed he left Willamette to become a full-time college student and that he was receiving unemployment compensation directly to his Portland Teachers Credit Union Account, while seeking financial aid.

It also showed that Mr. Durham was a previous resident on Sauvie Island at another address 2.5 miles South, and directly adjacent to Logie Rd across the channel. New Intelligence Leads To New Search Efforts Today Specifics have not been released, but new intelligence, the first in 9 months, is responsible for today’s new search efforts.

Today, Newly-tasked search teams are concentrated on NW Skyline Rd, south of Rocky Point.

Desiree Young, Kyron’s Mother:

“I have been waiting for this search to happen for some time now,” said Desiree Young, Kyron’s biological mother. “The Kyron Horman Task Force has shared the intelligence information with me, but unfortunately I can’t share that information with the media. I’m excited that today’s search will hopefully bring some closure to this case.”

www.blinkoncrime.com editor Madeline Tanner contributed to this report

Related Posts:

16,918 Comments

1. Rose says:

Two nights ago, parked in the 20 min parent drop off lane beside our local el ed, I saw 2 men enter the cafeteria/black top door that should have been locked. Fifteen minutes later, 2 others came. Of their 4 cars, 2 had out of state license plates. They left at 910. Too small a group to pay rental, and should have entered via gym. some staffer was probably doing them a gym favor rather than formal rental. Easy for anyone to come in the unlocked rear door inthe dark and to “stay over” and walk out at 730 am with a before school care kid. This school once had a friend of a former principal using thr phones after hours to run a gay prostitution business.

I trust LE thought of last spring’s nite renters, esp ones advertising to all of Portland via Twitter

Our former el ed had a security system that was armed when the principals left. I worked at night on a parent techcommittee. Only the Chair knew the code and reset the system after each person arrived

2. evie says:

Yesterday was frustrating, but enlightening. I am not, & wasn’t, confused about the truck sightings but my posts were not getting through. Like others, by the time I’ve composed a researched reply, it becomes useless.. them’s the breaks.
    At any rate, I’m very glad we’re all on the same count with these now and thank you for the story update, Blink.

@ puzzled & jan.. I am asking around on the north coast connection. I don’t really expect to find one though (can’t get anyone to confess to having been at that party, lol) and geographically, Seaside/CB is where you wind up if you are coming over from Portland. I do wonder at the route to Lincoln City, but doubt it is important at this point.
    btw, if one is going to Lincoln City from Portland, you’d go down I-5 and cut west at Salem.. the coast road is very very slow travel.

3. enumclawrose says:

Neighbor, Ode,

Found this on the Merchant Circle Website. Do you know if he is he still around and, or in business?

Merchant Information
    RESTORATION , CREATION AND ENJOYMENT

Main Website,
    Payment: Cash, Check
    Categories: Home & Garden | Lawn & Garden | Landscaping

Tags: landscaping plant sales Linnton Portland OR, landscaping mulch companies Linnton Portland OR, replace retaining wall contractor Linnton Portland OR, tree trimming Linnton Portland OR, garden mulch Linnton Portland OR, lawn irrigation Linnton Portland OR, irrigation systems Portland OR, bulk landscaping stone Portland OR, landscape rock products 97231, garden seeds 97231,

4. lyla says:

@puzzled
    1.puzzled says:
    February 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm
    Might I suggest that we are suffereing from sleuthers fatigue … I know I just want one… just one … piece of information to be confirmed true. My fear is that by the end of the month this case will either be closed or go cold.
    ————————————————-
    I agree. LE informed the public of “solid evidence” leading to the latest search hoping to bring closure for the family. Now, we hear nada. Just don’t get it.

5. riverpearl says:

Beejay~

From one on the left coast … I have been & always will be in awe of your abilities to sleuth from either coast or in-between.

I always wait for “Beejay updates” …

For all you have done for Kyron & Desiree, words fail me.
    … you have been, are & will remain a “warrior for Kyron”.

Safe travels, fair winds & may the rainbow stop on your shoulder…
    ( and of course, may snow NOT fall or only after your departure or extended stays.. and than only lightly )

You do … simply rock.

6. lyla says:

@10.Sunflower32 says:
    February 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm
    So far, pictures of ASS and DAD have been posted in mugshot fashion on this website. Whether or not either were directly accused of involvement in the disappearance of Ky, it has certainly been implied that both are within a tight focus of your inside sources.

This begs the question Blink: what do you know and/or think? As in right now? You have sources. Are you protecting the integrity of this investigation or are you (by way of your sources) genuinely clueless? I’m not asking to be argumentative. I just want to see you directly address this. For the record, I love your work on this site. However, I’ve never seen you spaghetti a case quite like this. What gives?

I do not know what “spaghetti a case means.”
    B
    ———————————————–
    I’m Italian…throw spaghetti against a wall hoping something “sticks”.

7. jan says:

@ beejay says:
    February 10, 2011 at 11:13 am
    I won’t be active much in the blogsphere in the future
    _________
    Why, Beejay? Don’t go!
    Ky needs you.

8. MarchmallowWI says:

Maybe Beejay will write a book about Kyron someday. I would definitely read it!

9. riverpearl says:

“WALDPORT – Three canine units from Tillamook and Marion Counties scoured about two miles of heavy wooded brush in the Bayshore neighborhood Thursday in search of clues to the whereabouts of David Durham, but again came up empty handed.”

“The officers and dogs looked for evidence of some place Durham might have been or anything he might have dropped, said Senior Deputy Bruce McGuire. “Nothing turned up and nothing gave us reason to think we should look for something else,” he said.”

Searchers scour wooded area near Waldport for David Durham

Published: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 2:54 PM Updated: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 3:32 PM
    By Lori Tobias, The Oregonian

10. Rose says:

(note towards end an ad booth at Courthouse Sq)
    when is rec league season (Thurs games)?

11. riverpearl says:

May Jeanette (Maples) find rest & peace now , which was so lacking in her short life. God bless this child.

Jury to decide if Oregon woman gets death penalty for killing her daughter
    February 10, 2011, 11:37AM

“The Register-Guard reports that 42-year-old Angela McAnulty pleaded guilty to aggravated murder in the 2009 abuse and torture death of Jeanette Maples (her 15-year-old daughter) on the day her trial began, immediately triggering the penalty phase to decide her sentence.”

“Her defense attorneys and two Lane County prosecutors spent a week interviewing nearly 100 potential jurors before a jury was selected.”

“Under Oregon law, the death penalty requires a unanimous decision by the jury.”

Aftershocks from a tragedy
    Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 8:05 PM

“It was worse than we thought, this failure to protect the life of Jeanette Maples, the 15-year-old girl from Eugene who died last month of some awful combination of starvation and injuries. Lane County officials have charged her father and stepmother with aggravated murder.”

Cries for help for Jeanette Maples got no answer
    Published: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 5:24 PM Updated: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 9:05 PM

“For three years, people in Jeanette’s life tried to get child welfare authorities involved, to no avail. Her step-grandmother, a concerned parent of a friend and educators all called the state Department of Human Services because she was bruised, constantly hungry and said she had been beaten at home.”

“Though police and prosecutors have released few details about the case, citing an ongoing criminal investigation, Jeanette’s relatives, friends and former teachers say she died a horrific death at her Eugene home after being starved and abused for years.”

12. Rose says:

Places to drink beejay? On the tweet advertising open Wed nite gym time at Skyline eled, C C Slaughter’s is recommended in the same breath. Neighbor, when my kid’s rec group was renting in public school, there was a “checker” enforcing a sign in sheet at the door

13. evie says:

Oh for goodness sakes.. be careful where you send our beejay!
    A’course, it’s been a lot of years since I hung out in Old Town regularly.

14. jan says:

@ Lea Conner says:
    February 10, 2011 at 11:15 am
    Thanks for post.
    Still wonder what day Blink’s DAD home background photo was taken; it appears there is white truck in driveway, which some say is now gone. Did MCSO take DAD truck?

DAD shooting was late Sunday night and Durham’s S.I. home was cordoned off by police Monday, access blocked by a Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office patrol car. Locals, Is it still blocked?
    In theory, if DAD was picked up, he could have gone back to S.I. Sunday PM to Monday (?), in the dark of night and a very short window. Some say he sold belongings, what, where sold?

15. enumclawrose says:

Please promise to check in.
    beejay says:
    February 10, 2011 at 11:13 am
    I won’t be active much in the blogsphere in the future

16. CBickel says:

@BJay…Howdy right back at ‘cha and all I’m gonna add to that is “I got your back”. Stay safe, keep us posted and I look forward to reading your review of the strawberry jam…or was it perserves?

PS…Nuttin’ personal Blink, but I don’t wanna see you do cartwheels in the snow in your underwear. I’m sick of snow! lol

Thoughts and prayers are with Kyron, his brothers, sister, friends and classmates.

Lol, nobody does, trust me :)
    B

17. jan says:

Blink,
    Could one see double-entendre in some messages?

Posted by J. G. Munro “Open Gym tonight 7:30-9:30pm! Come on out and play some pickup games with guys from the Portland Metro Area at Skyline Elementary. January 26 at 10:35am”

Skyline parents, what do you think of this?

18. enumclawrose says:

I read every page of the website and on the schedule page for SKYLINE, it asks for $5 per person to cover the rental fee. It seems as though the school district is renting out the building to help make ends meet. I wonder if other groups rent out the gym, or other areas. I wonder who supervises the building while it is being used. I agree with your previous post about someone possibly staying behind.

Rose says:
    February 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm
    (note towards end an ad booth at Courthouse Sq)
    when is rec league season (Thurs games)?

19. enumclawrose says:

Rose, This would also be a way to get to know the layout of the school.

20. enumclawrose says:

Neighbor & Ode,
    It looks like this place is a rental, and it is up for rent.

4 br House. The rent is $2,500.00. It’s available immediately. Property features 3 bathrooms, 2400 sq. ft., yearly lease term. Small Pets, Swimming Pool. Listed by Owner.

first, last + security 4 Bedroom, 3 bath house in NW Portland, directly across the street from Forest Park and many foot/bike trails. Seasonal pool, hottub in the woods, 15 minutes to downtown Portland. Mt. Hood- 1 hr. 45 min. Cannon Beach- 1 hr. 30 min. English landscaping, private and quiet. Wrap around porch on first level. Master bedroom includes office, closet, bathroom + claw foot tub, walk-in closet, private deck overlooking property, fireplace, loft, skylights. Main floor includes open kitchen, wood stove, hardwood floors, family room, utility room, hottub off of deck, 3 bedrooms, one with personal bathroom, and two doors that lead to deck and wrap around porch. Half basketball court, seasonal creek, secluded on 3 acres. Relaxing setting. Lincoln H.S. district- the downtown public high school, West Sylvan Middle School, Skyline Elem.- very small. This house is for nature lovers, people who desire a quiet, serene atmosphere

21. neighbor says:

@Rose said “.. ask Neighbor if he can get a definitive list of what group, if any, rented any room at Skyline the evening of June 3? What groups rented at night on a regular basis say in the 6 month period before June 4? ..”

I have only been to school organized events in the evening. Never noticed other events. Then again, I hardly drive by there in the evening.

@enumclawrose said “.. Do you know if he is he still around and, or in business? RESTORATION, CREATION AND ENJOYMENT ..”

I don’t know. I tried Registry Business Name Search, but that site appears down.

@Beejay, I hope to see more of your work. You’re early for the strawberry festival. That would be a good source of information right around the current search grid.

22. evie says:

Why it is worth being careful what you post about others, and yourself:

Hard lesson in civility: Commenter loses his anonymity, and then his real estate job
    Published: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 3:52 PM

Portland real estate broker Brian Owendoff caught in Internet bashing
    Published: Friday, February 04, 2011
    —————–
    @ Rose, that last post should have had one of those smileys with it. : )

23. evie says:

Tuesday Feb 15 is the 3rd week of February. The following briefing is not as specific as I expected.

“Tuesday, February 15, 2011 – 9:30 am
    Multnomah Building, Commissioners Board Room 100
    *NOTE* STARTING TIME

BOARD BRIEFINGS
    B.1 9:30 – 11a – Informational Board Briefing on Streams of Offenders Systems of Care and Funding Sources. Presenters: Peter Ozanne, Public Safety Coord. Council; Dan Staton, Sheriff; and, Mike Schrunk, District Attorney (90 min. requested)
    ——————-
    “In addition to meeting to conduct regular County business, … the Board meets for informational briefings and work sessions with staff and invited others reporting on various issues of interest to the County.
    ***Except for executive sessions, all meetings are open to the public.”***

24. MockingbirdSings says:

The PPS process as I remember it was for an application to be filled out, signed by the principal or designee, and submitted to the district office for approval. Once approved, a copy of the approved application was given to the applicant and to the school administrator who kept those on file in a binder – it could be all computerized now, but it’s really hard to check details on a computer when the administrator isn’t around to help you if a question comes up, so I would lean toward paper copies being kept as well. The head custodian also received a copy and expected to see a copy presented by the applicant at the time of the permitted use. (I did applications for administering the SAT exams on Saturdays.)

This should be public information since it is civic use of a public building, even if the event itself isn’t open to the public. If someone wanted to be “stinky” about it, they might require you to fill out a form requesting the information or pass the request to a supervisor, but somebody on good terms and known to be trustworthy could probably just ask the principal or secretary or the CUB office.

School districts reserve the right to determine if the activity is appropriate for the setting, and whether the group has provided any necessary security such as watching cars in the parking lot, understands clean up procedures, etc. Obviously, NOBODY should be in any school building without the proper authorization to be there at any time of year or day.

It’s possible, but I doubt if any group was allowed to rent a room at Skyline on June 3rd because of all the SF exhibits being set up. And, of course, I hope LE has already been through all of this.

25. enumclawrose says:

I took it for granted that DAD carried boxes of paper and pushed the copy button at work. Then I read their extended services. Did he landscape for the Home Improvement & Remodeling Services department, or do they just offer permit services for improvement and remodeling? Do they use subcontractors for those services?

In Washington, I am familiar with places like this, but they never get involved in actual projects, they just provide contractor services. They are on top of every construction job they can get their hands on. It’s like a library of blueprints which can be copied or just viewed. They know everyone who is anyone in the construction industry, which includes landscaping projects.

Can’t post link.
    Description off of Yellowbot for Willamette Print & Blueprint:
    Architects Supplies, architectural supplies, blueprinter, business services, copying, Copying & Duplicating Service, Digital Imaging, Document & Records Services, Home Improvement & Remodeling Services, photocopying, Plotters Equipment & Supplies, retail, shop, store, Surveyors Equipment & Services, wholesale,

26. Midwest Mom says:

Rose says:

February 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm
    —————-
    Rose whenever I see a car or person that seems. “Off” I take a pic Email send it to myself and file it in a folder, hopefully never to be needed. Email has time and date stamped and if I was close enough to get the plate I rename the pic with lic #.

About a year ago, our neighbor and two boys were home asleep when two masked men with guns broke in and held them at gun point. Unheard of in our part of town. I was able to provide a pic of a truck that I was not familiar with and was sitting in front of their house the day before. It was only the grass man.. But ya never know. The situation with mr Kelley is an example of a time that I would have taken a pic. Sometimes I will snap if someone
    Looks like missing person, come home and compare.

These days our phone a generally with in reach. And it only takes a minute. Snap, send, file :)

27. MockingbirdSings says:

Malty says:
    February 10, 2011 at 3:56 am
    Last it seems like Terri wanted to be seen and she never covered
    Her hair.
    ————————–
    Good point – thank you. The only logical reason (if there was one) I can see for not covering your red hair would be if there were one or more additional people with similar hair (from a distance in a moving vehicle with tinted windows) and you wanted to create a reasonable doubt that it was you. A not so logical reason would be if your logic was somehow impaired by a factor such as alcohol, over-confidence, spur of the moment response to something, some strong emotion such as hatred or anger, risk-taking, etc.

Of course, another reason could be that it really wasn’t you and that person wasn’t worried about being seen, perhaps for that same reasonable doubt factor, and that no obvious motive or connection existed (in your opinion) to point in your direction.

28. sjso says:

************
    I find the words, solid-evidence, interesting. A solid lead or a solid source lead LE to search… maybe.. but “solid evidence” what could that be?

29. sjso says:

Rose says: February 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

“Due to this season’s open gym nite Wednesdays, advertised to the entire Portland area, it has come to me to ask Neighbor if she can get a definitive list of what group, if any, rented any room at Skyline the evening of June 3? What groups rented at night on a regular basis say in the 6 month period before June 4?”
    ************
    Interesting Rose. “Advertising to the entire Portland area” about an afterhours open gym night at an elementary school. How sad and sick it is to realize that this might be an enticing invitation for a perv.. I think the science fair at Skyline was advertised too was it not? Checking out who rented the school during afterhours on June 3rd and/or the weeks leading up to June 4th makes a lot of sense. Big Sigh.

30. riverpearl says:

Not to be crass -
    but if inmates (or pre-inmates) knew this could/ would happen “maybe” it would stop them …

Brazilian who abused captive daughter dies in riot
    By STAN LEHMAN – Associated Press
    SAO PAULO —

“A man convicted with imprisoning his daughter and fathering seven children with her was one of the six inmates killed earlier this week in a prison riot in northeastern Brazil, authorities said Wednesday.”

“Maranhao state public safety spokeswoman Maud Zaiban said that Jose Agostinho Pereira was **decapitated** by fellow inmates who broke into his cell in the city of Pinheiro.”

“In June, Pereira was charged with imprisoning his daughter for 12 years in his home and fathering her seven children. Prosecutors have said he also abused two of the children he had with his daughter. He was convicted in December and sentenced to 30 years in prison on sex abuse charges and of depriving his daughter of her freedom through “private incarceration”

“Zaiban said by telephone the rebellion began after guards thwarted an escape attempt by several prisoners. She did not know the number of inmates who tried to flee.”

“They then raided the cell where **inmates charged with rape and pedophilia** were being held and **killed six of them, four of whom were decapitated**,” Zaiban said. The other two, she added, were stabbed to death with makeshift knives.”

“She said the aborted escape attempt was motivated by the overcrowded conditions: close to 100 inmates were packed into facilities built to hold 30. Overcrowding is common in Brazilian prisons.
    The rebellion began Monday and ended Tuesday.”

ADD http://www. in front pf link
    heraldonline.com/2011/02/09/2821043/brazilian-accused-of-raping-daughter.html#ixzz1DeN39E3m

31. riverpearl says:

Some one here recently asked about “who” the printer could of been for Kyron T-shirts etc.

I found this “thank you” list on Bring Kyron Home site :

Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement
    Federal Bureau of Investigation, Portland, OR Law Enforcement
    Family Fun Center & Bullwinkle’s Restaurant, Wilsonville, OR Fund Raiser
    God Father’s Pizza, Beaverton, OR Fund Raiser
    Sleepy Ridge Farms, Mulino, OR Fund Raiser
    Rolloff Farms, Hillsboro, OR Fund Raiser
    Loch Lolly Christmas Forest, North Plains, OR Fund Raiser
    Walgreens, 210 Barnett Road, Medford, OR Fund Raiser
    Walgreens, 2280 West Main St., Medford, OR Fund Raiser
    Strategic Printing & Manufacturing, Tualatin, OR Donations **(Could this be it ?)
    LAD Advertising & Lithia Motors Inc. Donations
    Kinko’s, Hillsboro, OR Donations **(Could this be it ?)
    Intel Corp. Donations
    The Extreme Edge Gym, Beaverton, OR Donations
    Knife River, Portland, OR Donations
    Rock Creek Tavern Donations
    The Old Spaghetti Factory, Hillsboro, OR Donations
    Hibben Twisted Graphics, Medford, OR Donations
    Sweetest Thing Cupcakes, Newberg, OR Donations
    Piece of Cake, Hillsboro, OR Donations
    Clackamas Feed & Pet Supply, Clackamas, OR Donations
    Albertsons, Medford, OR Donations
    Four Seasons Screen Printing, Milwaukie, OR Donations **(Could this be it ?)
    Krissy’s Koffee & Kones, North Plains, OR Donations
    Safeway, Medford, OR Donations

Fred Meyer, South Medford, OR Donations
    Kelly Ramirez (Kyron’s Medford Cake), Medford, OR Donations
    Medford Church of Christ, Medford, OR Donations
    Athey Creek Christian Fellowship, Wilsonville, OR Donations
    B. Cazwells Florist , Medford, OR Donations
    Flowers by Friends, Medford, OR Donations
    Taylor Made, Portland, OR Donations
    West-Meyer Fence, Portland, OR Donations
    Todd Tanber, Roseville, CA Technical Assistance
    Yossi Kolesnicov, Rehovot, Israel Technical Assistance

Not sure IF the printer is on this but this is a “starter” list …

32. beejay says:

It has been verified by a member of the press, with Lincoln Police, that they know the location of both DAD’s vehicles.

Now, back to Rudy Sanchez and associates.

33. Ode says:

11.riverpearl says:
    February 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Jury to decide if Oregon woman gets death penalty for killing her daughter
    February 10, 2011, 11:37AM
    ********
    The case of a young 15 year old girl, Sylvia Lykens, who died in 1965 was the first murder case I ever followed. I was just a child myself at the time but the story caught my attention. I read everything at the time it happened. She was tortured and starved. The woman who was responsible is now out of jail. I will never understand why. It taught me as a young child that a WOMAN could in fact be a monster. We are taught about the boggy man but there are boggy women out there as well!

34. sassifrass says:

Rose says:
    February 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

___________________________________________________________

@ Rose

May I ask where you got that specific information? Specifically, what appears to be a witness account. A link?
    Thanks.

35. Idahogal says:

Missing Kyron Horman
    If you’d like to send Valentines to Kyron or his family please mail to:
    ♥ Valentines for Kyron ♥
    P.O. Box 12192
    Tualatin, OR 97062

36. Idahogal says:

Starshadow says:
    February 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm
    (Snipped)
    1) Odell is no more then an hour and a half from Portland. It’s only 10-15 minutes from Hood River.
    4) With the options for media getting info out to people not all that great – a newspaper that’s published Wednesday, TV news that most aren’t likely to see… going through the schools was probably their best option.
    ——————-
    @Starshadow- I understand what you are saying, I’m truly not trying to slam your town. I’m just saying, with the proximity to Portland & Vancouver, someone in LE could have and should have contacted MSM right away with at least a phone call. I’m sure LE had a BOLO report asap, I just wish the general public had one by Monday as well. It is just an example of a crime that should have been reported to the general population a lot sooner. People needed to be aware of a potential threat and to be looking for the perp and his vehicle.
    I did not for one second think that this perp might be DAD, rather I was connecting him more as our potential SZ in Kyron’s case. If in fact our SZ that took Kyron is out there, he will offend again, just as beejay has reiterated so many times. That is what concerns me most at this time.
    I am beyond frustrated that sweet innocent Kyron remains lost and we have no news of any suspects in this case. It makes me sick and beyond sad. I adore that little boy and I never even knew him. I pray for and await the day that his abductor(s) are brought forth and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

37. Falstaff says:

Schools are community buildings. Most in my area (Portland) are open for drop in sports and have been forever. This is a place for families to met and use for “free” facilities that would otherwise be locked. Depending on the age of the building and it’s architecture, most of the schools have locked steel double doors so you just can’t go where ever you want. I believe these doors are installed to met fire codes also, many doors that you don’t notice during the daytime, are pulled out and locked at night. Remember that this was a well planned isolated event. Be aware of your environment always, but don’t live in fear or the bad guys win.

38. Rose says:

@37. Sassifrass. I am not a local. I referred to my own neighbor schools–one adjacent to me whose laxity under its current & a former principal jeopardizes the neighborhood (imagine a staff friend allowed to “use tge phones” after houra for what proved to be same sex prostitution!) as contrasted with our otger neighbor el ed which had an armed security system respected by leading pta honchos & staff

the salient issue in my posting is what groups formally rented–or informally used likely as a friend of a staffer in my own home school–in the months before, and the night before, K’s disappearance. What time of night were ALL doors routinely locked, and who supervised and spot-checked. We’ve speculated about planning by itinerant school repairmen, coaches & groundskeepers. What I saw (unlocked door/odd users) at home, and what I saw online in one tweeting user group, reminded me of other avenues to “case the joint.” (thank you beejay for the idea to search tweets for skyline area)

this group, per the facebook posting, was at Hillsboro Community Ctr til this new season–at least thru Nov ’10.

All county facilities are open to all county groups, even non-county. There is a long preference order with nonprofits going first. Our el ed exec pta group used to get all bent out of shape bcz often outside groups had secured evening/weekend rental time before our calendar events were decided on. Here the public schools used to rent thru the sch secr who submitted the requests to central office. Now it’s all done by computer and rented directly from the county & not the sch system. The local school and/or pta has no input or control

OT: rentals are without discrimination. It is interesting this particular group moved from a county community center to what has to be the “touchiest” school in the entire metroplex re outside groups who advertise aggressively in social mefia & streetfairs to come one, come all. A rural location choice too. This strikes me as a discrimination suit against the county waiting to happen if they’re asked to choose another school.

In our county the rental agreement has the renter warrant no attendee is a felon or SO. So, it would be fair to ask any group to document their gatekeeping/sign in system and spot check it, if and only if tge same request is made of all school renting groups in that county

oh, and Sass, no link, that was written as eyewitness observation in my home school-not Skyline

I see from the Face

39. Malty says:

@E-rose #30
    Thanks for the info
    Everytime I decide DAD just a sad guy who
    maybe had a bad day with his firefighting and got
    hurt on the job
    Some post makes me wonder again

I had a brother in law who got kicked out of
    Firefighting because he panicked in heavy
    smoke. It was years before he got over it

So that entered my mind

That and I don’t know where he was on June 4
    But the I-skills thing makes me pause
    Again

40. Rose says:

Once again, I am not in Oregon, and our county procedures are not applicable to Multnomah Cty. Theirs are likely online too. Our fees are small & for janitor use only. When I explored renting on a Sunday evening here for a tutoring group, I was told a janitor had to agree to be there but they always did. The janitor is the school employee ( working in the bldg somewhere & not supervising or present).
    The question re Skyline is, is it the same system where the fee works out to janitorial payment with a janitor on tge grounds & locking up, and if so how does that work as janitors are no longer school system employees with the same accountability, and moreover the county contract is with developmentally disablex?

41. sassifrass says:

@ Rose: Thank you!
    _________________________

beejay says:
    February 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

Now, back to Rudy Sanchez and associates.
    __________________________

@beejay: Is that a hint? ;)

42. Hulagirl says:

I’ve been out of the online lop for awhile. Was it established that DAD was somehow affiliated with Rudy Sanchez? Or is this speculation based on an uncanny coincidence that they both did landscaping and DAD happens to live in the area they are currently searching for Kyron? Just curious. Oregon weather does require continual yard maintenance and there are literally thousands of landscapers here at work year round despite the rest of the states current dismal job market.

43. Rose says:

@24. Evie. I don’t know what else to do but scroll on when someone speaks to me by name in a post with links to press re a job loss for one who posted “nasty” uncivil comments and cautions against my doing same. Call me puzzled. I pointed out at least one group rents at Skyline weekly this year & runs an open nite gym widely advertised in Portland, and may have league games another night.
    It stands to reason other groups rented last year.
    I wonder who and when, but not enough to find it myself. Not my school.
    But, I have reported in my school, over decades, multiple breakins (before it was rebuilt), firesetting on the blactop, and marijuana smoking night owls. Kids used to like to enter thru a roof opening & trash rooms the nite before teacher workdays. The incidrnt with the local principal’s friend using the phones happened while we rented elsewhere for a better eled education. Cost him his job. I read it in the press. I fail to see any incivilities in my comments, evie.

44. rmack says:

44.M Harris says:
    February 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm
    “”Blink,
    I don’t understand the yes/no, yes/no, but I’m still reading, in this forum, 3 Ky sightings. Chas – June 4, David Vaughn – June 5, and Dewitt – June 9 Maybe I’m not understanding something ! Should I just shut up? Thanks for the answer to SZ- I just couldn’t figure that out.”"

Forgive me if this has already beed addressed ~ The “Chas” sighting was a report of a white truck & a red haired woman only ~ no child.

Someone got the other two reports, including possible Kyron sightings, mixed up with the Chas report & the false information spread like wildfire.

45. enumclawrose says:

I can still get his business on the registry, so the site must have had problems when you tried. Just wondering if he is still in town, or did he/they move after June 04. It appears the house at that address on Skyline is up for rent. The business was started in Aug.’09 and renews in Aug. this year. The people searches I have done show a history in CA.

26.neighbor says:
    February 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm

46. Malty says:

I keep thinking about Checking out fires around the first of June
    But I got to work and not feeling great

47. enumclawrose says:

Me too. We have a lot of pieces of this puzzle, and maybe some left overs. Trouble is, trying to decide what pieces even go to this puzzle. The sad fact is, this isn’t really a puzzle. Sometimes I wonder if what we are doing really helps anyone, and then I think there is not a day that goes by that we all aren’t thinking about or praying for Kyron.

45.Malty says:
    February 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm
    @E-rose #30
    Thanks for the info
    Everytime I decide DAD just a sad guy who
    maybe had a bad day with his firefighting and got
    hurt on the job
    Some post makes me wonder again

48. MockingbirdSings says:

Rose – In 2007, PPS lost the battle with the custodians’ union over whether they could fire them all. http://www.pps.k12.or.us/news/2341.htm

I believe the subject of custodians has been brought up several times since the beginning of this case, and I know I have explained this before, as has at least one other poster, but it has gone back and forth so much, I can see how it might come up again. This IS the way it is now – start here everyone – PPS custodians ARE school employees and definitely were in 2009-2010.

Current news – “Members of Service Employees Union Local 503 have reached a tentative agreement with representatives of the Portland Public Schools on a new three-year contract covering 300 custodians and 200 nutrition service workers in Portland’s elementary, middle and high schools.

The agreement, reached Tuesday night (Feb. 5) after more than nine months of contentious negotiation, preserves current wages for custodians and provides increases and other advances for nutrition service workers.

“This is a victory for workers and for safe and healthy schools,” said Mark Freimark, custodian at Llewelyn Elementary School and a member of the SEIU 503 bargaining team. “It affirms that qualified custodians are important to maintaining a proper educational environment and empowers nutrition workers who play an important role feeding 20,000 children every school day.”
    ————–
    As is often the case, the district lost a lot more than money with that attempt to cut costs. I won’t go into my personal assessment of PPS administration/Board (as a functioning group) over the years, but at the time I left, I was so disgusted with them that I returned my (unexpected, token) retirement gift to the Board with a letter that said if you wanted to honor me you should have taken better care of my school community. My advice to Board members everywhere – never make any decision about any school you’ve never bothered to go visit.

One other comment you can find on the previous link I posted about CUB procedures – if an administrator is not present, the custodian on duty has the authority to make sure the terms of the approved use are followed. I believe it is the nature of a great many school custodians to become quite attached to the care and quirks of their building and its inhabitants. Not saying they are all perfect of course, but if I wanted to know anything about a building, I would always start with the custodian when possible.

49. Malty says:

@Rose
    Sounds right, even where I work
    Housekeeping has to clean and set up the
    Meeting rooms for the next day after all meetings

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI