Nittany Nightmare Continues Past Sandusky: Former President Spanier Charged- NEW Charges for Curley and Schultz Filed

Happy Valley- PA On the heels of convicted child molester Jerry Sandusky’s transfer to his new home,  what most predicted would follow- has.

Former Penn State President Graham Spanier,  fired by the Penn State Board of Trust the same day as legendary late-Nittany Lions Coach Joe Paterno, is facing serious charges today filed by Sandusky’s prosecutors.

Spanier is facing counts of obstruction of justice,  perjury, conspiracy, endangering the welfare of children and failure to report allegations of child abuse.

Tim Curley and Gary Schultz,  who were facing perjury and charges based on “non-reporting”,  are now facing all five similar charges as Spanier-  additional filings occurred simultaneously.

Linda L. Kelly stated the men “used their positions to conceal and cover up for years the activities of a known child predator,” on Thursday following the announcement.

Please check back to www.blinkoncrime for this developing story.

Related Posts:

2,716 Comments

1. J. J. in Phila says:

As I’ve indicated, in one case SPM sent the message to Lunsford and copied the defense attorney. Lunsford sent a message back to her, but didn’t copy the defense. I have a problem blaming SPM for something Lunsford failed to do.

There are a number of broad exceptions to the rule. Since I don’t have a list of what is alleged, I can’t really tell if the would be a violation or not. The rules are here: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/207/chapter33/s2.9.html

Agreed on that text specifically, however, a finding by the disciplinary committee can exclude one allegation or example and still find an Atty acted improperly on others.

On Friday it looks like philly.com states Parks Miller already admitted to impropriety in one allegation, they just disagree on an appropriate sanction.

On the fake facebook account- approaching unrepresented persons under a false name. I would have to see the actual facts but if she was directly behind that, and it was not a legitimate and LE “managed” investigative activity to conform to their standards of acquiring admissible evidence- she’s in trouble. I have seen Federal agencies both fined and parties awarded several hundred thousand dollars for creating fake social media accounts under various investigative circumstances.
    B

2. J. J. in Phila says:

@Blink, I have still not seen the the complaint, so I don’t know the specific charges; I am aware that there can be specifications under each charge. A number may not qualify as ex parte communications; since I don’t know which have merit and which don’t.

There is a difference between doing something that is actionable, that she could be sued for, and something unethical. I’m sure you know that.

I am not certain that anything from Facebook was ever used in evidence, so I don’t know if that is applicable.

There may be some problems with the evidence. It came from that search by the Bellefonte Police Department in the things relating false forgery. At a time the case had been turned over to OAG, and it was publicly known. That could be a problem.

3. Rose says:

A less distinguished jurist is hard to find. juvies on probation in Clearfield… http://judges.pa.law.com/profile/Centre_County_District_Court/Allen_Sinclair/Allen_Sinclair-124.xml
    Why did Miller do the Prelim of a complex criminal case before a magesterial bench sitted?

Because she is trying to use this case to reverse her bad PR. She should ask Kane how that worked out.
    B

4. Rose says:

and why one covering boroughs
    other than state college?

5. erose says:

Blink, Is the first complaint the one Gricar investigated?

Report: Joe Paterno May Have Known of Earlier Sandusky Abuse Claim

I am going to have to look up old notes on that one erose- if my memory serves it was circa 1998, however, I do not recall any specific mention of JoePa in any of that file.
    B

6. erose says:

Is there any other known incidents besides the one in 1998?

I think that is a matter of rumor v fact, unfortunately. For me, I will never believe such a legacy of profound chronic sexual predation only raised 2 documented flags until Sandusky was indicted- just like I will NEVER, EVER believe Mrs. Sandusky had no clue “Jer” was raping children in her basement. I can’t prove that either, but I have interviewed sources that agree with me on both counts.
    B

7. Rose says:

@JJinPA. whatever became of Parks Miller’s reinvestigation into Gricar’s disappearance?

8. Rose says:

apparently Ganin is back for CNN,
    claiming Paterno told mcquery he’d
    heard of 1 other incident. bet that
    riles up the mizzus as he claimed under
    oath he had not. She’ll say: Consider the source.
    Speaking of sources, soulds like her story is
    slmething Ganin could not double source.
    Any indication Sandusky consorted
    with mob members ever in the late 90s?

9. Rose says:

wonder if David Freed will hire SPMiller in his new office?

10. Rose says:

looking back, SPM can’t ethically try a case before Grine,
    Kistler or Ruest, or likely Gillette, so what’s left for
    the mulridefendant felony case but a magisterial schmuck?

11. Rose says:

she needs to call in a special judge from outside the County anyway

12. Steve says:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-initiates-lawsuit-against-second-mile-raykovitz,1473619/ leading from http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-seeks-claim-against-second-mile,1468517/
    Since TSM sold off it’s assets, where will the money come from if PSU is successful?

It’s my understanding that approximately $9million (remaining) was turned over to the AG, and it looks like proper notice was given so it has to be held (in trust?) somewhere? I don’t know what the specific language says in the contract between TSM and PSU, but it appears there is a standard indemnification- unless PSU has cause for suing Raykovitz as an individual (meaning they allege he acted outside his defined scope or negligently, recklessly, criminally, etc) his personal assets would be off limits. As you know, I have long held the belief that TSM (et al) and its knowledge (and those in positions of power and interface)either “had suspicions of Sandusky predatory criminal acts” or they were negligent in protecting the kids in their charge from them- if PSU was smart they would (if this is not truly the motivation) they would spin this as the only real way they can effectively and transparently investigate “what happened on their watch” so they could avoid it reoccurring and provide answers to those who were kept in the dark in the first place.
    B

13. J. J. in Phila says:

@erose, I think that what Paterno was referring to, according to McQueary, was the 1998 incident. That one was the one that Gricar was involved with.

This is sort of old news. There were a set of e-mails between Curley and Schultz were Curley was asking Schultz the status of the case, because the “coach” wanted to know. When Curley testified, he said, yes, he was relying that information to Paterno. This isn’t mew information.

There are incidents from the 1970′s onward, where the victims indicated that they told Paterno. They are from the civil suits and the details have been released.

One person told his foster parents. The supposedly called Paterno and some other staff member, and he read the kid the riot act. Victim thought it was Paterno’s voice, and he was called “Joe.”

I am very skeptical that it was Paterno, or that the it wasn’t something the foster parents worked out with Paterno, because they didn’t believe the boy.

14. J. J. in Phila says:

@Rose, in fairness, that is what most district judges background are. You don’t need a degree; you have to take a course and pass a test that the state does. Sinclair actually has a better resume that more than a few DJ’s that I’ve known.

Procedure is that the case goes to a DJ first. It has nothing to do with anyone being recused.

The Gricar investigation was turned over to the PSP in November or early December 2013, but the announcement wasn’t made until the spring of 2014. I think it is in their cold case file.

15. J. J. in Phila says:

@Blink, I doubt that the reason she charged was political. The death was in February, so it couldn’t go into a long range political plan. It took a lot of time away from campaigning. Further, her electorate is in Centre County, so getting national attention would be much help.

I’ll say two things:

1. SPM overcharged, like most DA’s do. They expect a few to be dismissed.

2. I looked at the definition of manslaughter in PA, which requires the death to be caused by acting, “in a reckless or grossly negligent manner.” There is, in my non legal opinion, a prima facei case for manslaughter, based on the evidence, and that it should go to trial. I will note that involuntary manslaughter is a misdemeanor.

16. J. J. in Phila says:

@Blink, I am not sure what you are asking, but Curley testified that he kept Paterno informed in 1998 and that he was referring to Paterno in those e-mails.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI