Dr. Phil Show Hosts Missing Portland Child Kyron Horman’s Step Mom Terri Horman Over Two Episodes

Posted by Christina Stoy | Desiree Young,Dr. Phil McGraw,Kaine Horman,Kyron Horman,Multnomah County Sheriffs Office,Shitshow,Uncategorized | Wednesday 21 September 2016 3:18 pm

I have been covering this case since Kyron Horman disappeared from Skyline School in June, 2010.    Like most missing persons cases I have covered in the past,  I am of the strong opinion that best efforts at the truth are the only way to propel investigations that, similarly to Kyron’s, have gone cold for one reason or another.   This approach has worked in resolving some of my previous cases.    I am proud of that.  I remain steadfast to the integrity involved in those and future cases.

Over the past 10 months (or so) I have been developing an updated series on Kyron’s case to include my multiple interviews with Kyron’s step-mom,  Terri Horman.   Needless to say as she was the subject of at least three simultaneous cases before an Oregon court and remains a person of interest by the agency investigating her sons disappearance, this has been an arduous and sometimes delicate journey.    Ms. Horman’s experiences during the ongoing investigation of the disappearance of Kyron Horman are critically important to propelling his case and with great hope- finding the truth about what happened to this cherubic and innocent child.    There are dozens of sources,  collateral interviews, forensic experts and legal analysts that also contribute to my series and have done so because of their belief that my motivation is to bring to light information and opinions in such a way that would almost “require” a focused review of Kyron’s case and the likely shaking of that proverbial tree everyone talks about.

Set to publish about 6-ish weeks ago I was asked to postpone the first installment of the series, which I did.  I subsequently learned Ms. Horman was participating in the Dr. Phil program after she completed taping.  Dr. Phils producers were well aware that Ms. Horman had interviewed with me extensively, and anticipated my series would be publishing information that was not known to the public previously in the days prior to her scheduled episode.    When Ms. Horman conveyed to me that she feels obligated to speak out about “her son” in any national medium that will have her,   I most certainly respected that.  I still do.

While Dr. Phil seems like a gregarious fellow for sure,   I have zero interest in being associated with his program, nor do I believe his shows content is designed to do any furtherance of investigation or truth.  There is much concern (although I have no affiliation to the show whatsoever) that the timing of the publication of my series on the Kyron Horman matter might be interpreted differently or inadvertently contribute to the programs content or audience reactions.     Not what I signed on for.   A missing 7 year old boy six years running is not a framework for entertaining a target audience.   He is not fodder for online social media bully campaigns- yet it occurs.

I will be publishing my series on Kyron’s case at a later date, in it’s entirety with no editing adjustments as a result of any of the appearances on Dr. Phil.   I appreciate your patience and your understanding.   Feel free to discuss the show below.

Related Posts:

2,781 Comments

1. A Texas Grandfather says:

If there was truly a mental problem with Kyron, it could have been triggered by what was going on at home. Based on all the things that have been uncovered such as the sexual proclivities of Kaine Horman and his steroid use as early as 2005 and other possible behaviors unknown to us.

Children are curious by nature. That is how they learn. Kyron could have witnessed things that he did not understand and that could have been the prime reason he was restricted to his bed and room after a certain time in the evening.

Terri was probably on the right track when she tried to do what a concerned woman would do for a husband that was making bad decisions regarding the use of steriods. However, she was very handicapped in this endeavor. She was not the mother of Kyron,in the legal sense, even though she probably fulfilled the mother role as well as she could and a lot better than his mentally challenged bio mother.

The key begins at the school and the removal of all authority of MCSO and the county justice system from the case. An outside specially trained cold case organization may be able to find the trail of facts that will solve it including finding Kyron.

2. A Texas Grandfather says:

Rose

I like your idea of a digital record across all forms of media for the schools. One of the things that such a project will likely have to consider is providing the digital record in such a way as to be reproduced using current equipment and future equipment.

Our oldest daughter ran into this in working with her church. She had some videos made on tape that she wanted to share with the children. The problem was the playback equipment was no longer manufactured and the church did not have a unit. I have a working unit, but would not in today’s environment allow it to leave my premises. Too many children are not taught to take care of things that they own and to respect and care for things owned by others.

I could use a three-step process to move the information to a medium such as a solid state disk that could be used at the church or elsewhere. She can’t do it herself because she lacks equipment and knowledge. This is where a person knowledgeable in electronics is valuable in a project such as you suggested.

3. Rose says:

Thank you for making me current on that information Rose.

B

4. thatkewlgirl says:

New updated composite picture of Kyron released… Caught a clip on KEZI tonight, will link here when I see it come out… or someone else finds it.

To me, this looks like Kyron. It seems to use his brother/mother influence more than the last one. When I look at it, it looks right to me…

So far, haven’t found the link … watch this space ;)

5. thatkewlgirl says:

Here’s the link from Medford media outlet…

6. thatkewlgirl says:

And… looks like it’s part of a planned digital billboard ad marketing strategy.

B

7. Rose says:

Waiting for others’ take on the age-enhanced.

I am reminded the 2 female Davidsons said last Nov they were working with
    “LE partners” to develop it. I believe i see a maternal family influence in the
    product, myself.

8. thatkewlgirl says:

Btw… the bias is dripping in both of those links… clearly coming from Medford Mama’s camp. But I do think this is a good move to get Kyron’s face out there (and what I think he’d look like too), even if I don’t agree with their manipulation (it won’t help find Kyron if a SZ is behind his disappearance, when they are directing viewers to implement only one person… they won’t even consider that the fella down the street from them, for example, is harboring this missing child if they think some gun stealing red head in Calif is at fault… just sayin… they need to THINK about public eyes looking and not revenge when they market this child… IMO

9. thatkewlgirl says:

Oh, and hey… Missing Children day in Salem… story on KATU… big pic of Medford Mama, not the updated pic of Kyron… I guess it’s more important to know who SHE is… sad.

10. A Texas Grandfather says:

Thanks for the updates TKG. Maybe something will come of this effort.

I hope the media will make the effort to point at finding Kyron rather than making the bio mom the center of attention.

11. Rose says:

As I pondered why the two sisters would hold back the LE-designed update (they said last Nov) for 5-6 months for a Missing Childrens’ Day media rollout, the lure to Desiree of being the featured Salem speaker and on TV didn’t seem enough to motivate her to wait. I thought about who was rolling this ad campaign out and what their motives were on timing. and, Why hire a PR agency in Oregon?

katu said “National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released ..”

My reaction was their Federal funding budget must be severely in jeopardy under the Mulvaney-released budget.

I don’t read the site below, just googled the Fed budget for NCMEC and it runs thru the Secret Service agency

* Just fyi, the secret service may “donate” investigatively somehow to NCMEC, but they do not use funds raised from NCMEC nor do they charge them in any way. Looks like a fake news item, lol. That writer is incorrect and should have reviewed MCMEC 990′s before making such an allegation.

AND a one-time Act funded only thru fiscal year 2018

In short, NCMEC faces a major funding crisis under the present administration which must be resolved in the upcoming Fall Congressional budget appropriations. .

I think people will be surprised at the fiscal size and scope of NCMEC and how much of their income comes from grants and Fed funds, but I also think they would be shocked to see the salaries of those involved and their vendor contract amounts (nearly $300K in legal services a year) most especially considering the bill is designed to monitor egregious salaries, to wit:
    “…Strengthen OJJDP’s oversight and accountability and codify current practice by limiting the use of federal funds for employee compensation.[2]..” Top dude makes nearly $500K, head of HR making over $170K. That’s correct, head of HR in a nearly ALL VOLUNTEER $42 mil funded 501c3. Not making any accusations here, but Walsh was a co founder and they pay $18K a year in his medical insurance and his kid is employed by them at $78K a year. These are issues requiring disclosure, imo. I support NCMEC functions greatly, but I would like to review some ROI figures.
    B

Imo NCMEC was– thru its Ad Agency’s missing kid-marketing roll out and staging in Salem with billboards cross State –targeting as a prospective supporter in the budget fray the lone Republican OR congressman Greg Walden whose district encompasses a lot of the State and is somewhat near Salem.

Me in black.
    B

12. Rose says:

Facebooks for Kyron might constructively conduct a letterwriting campaign nationwide to House members asking them to reauthorize and fully fund (for 5 more years) the Missing Childrens Assistance Act of 2013, and to fully fund the Secret Service mission of forensic and technical support to missing and exploited children.

13. Rose says:

Rather than view media links which I figured would intersperse fake facts, I went to the horse’s mouth for straight speech–desiree’s, found on youtube.
    Her loss and mourning are so immense, one can see why it’s impossible for her to right the investigation.

I got more out of her verbal description of Kyron than I get from that picture, not that it’s not a good thing. . And indeed in her conclusion she recounts the picture development to be exactly what I had surmised. She said it’s important to update regularly (last was 2012 iirc) and recounts the process as 1) forensic artist, 2) LE, 3) family members’ same age photos, 4) parents’ final approval. I have never doubted his maternal likeness, and many features are the same. But the picture struck me as the perfect fantasy teen version of Kyron, straight teeth and all, not the smalll, slight boy with obvious challenges. I felt I could see the influence of a reliance on family photos, ie brothers or uncles. The boy in the picture is too “stocky” and “full.”

I got more from her words:

“in a group” “the ***smallest in stature***but the brightest…”
    “…may not notice…because he’s
    also the ***quietest***”
    “…he’s a shy kid…”

she refers to his “Comfort zone”
    That very significant quietness and shyness would have been enough for the trained Terri, had she custody, to take him to a speech-language shop to rule out language or auditory processing issues. And to a neuropsychologist. I’m sure Terri knows but could not say publically the etiology of his visual disability. The interesting thing had DY’s suit continued would have been not just her but Kyron’s medical records.

She goes on to say his abduction was due to circumstances beyond her control and that abduction itself was highly unlikely. …because he had “rules and boundaries.” “…never let him out of our sight” With what Blink has said he was never left alone even at the school busstop by the Hormans either. So, apparently school (outside of family care) was the only place he COULD be taken from. That posits rather than a mere opportunist (how many act to kidnap from inside a school?), Kyron himself was targeted and very wanted. Imo LE might have put in one theory box a man who crossed kyron’s path and very much identified with kyron. perhaps kyron reminded him of his childhood self: slightest and smallest, tongue-tied and shy, bright but quiet, motor-awkward, big glasses and vision problems, troublesome childhood, conflicted family,

Kidnapping from a school is rare as are all stranger or unknown offender abductions, this is true. That said, offenses to kids culminating at a school or during a school related activity within “rare” offenses is not. I have personally studied cases involving the FBI of crimes to students by actors unknown to the victims that I can tell you have never made it to the public realm for various reasons. I would add over the years I have developed a distrust of stats and their application to crime reporting AND then I made sure my kids school admin knew my field of study.

B

14. Rose says:

Walden has a Medford office
    significant informal and formal power.
    easy to see why both the FBI and NCMEC
    would want to show budget $ being well spent in his District.
    who’d a thunk the House Energy Committee handles tech and health care?

15. Rose says:

Imo May is a cruel month for DY.
    In part because it is MCSO’s County Budget time.
    And I notice State Police presented at her ceremony.
    The man in the Big Hat who sat prominently behind
    her speech was State Police iirc. Is it budget time for
    State too? Imo she and kyron are being used for appropriation
    PR purposes at the Federal, State and County LE levels.
    convenient for LE that Kyron was taken in the first week of June.
    That in part is what allowed Staton to spend spend spend on OT in
    June 2010

16. Rose says:

Another thing DY mentioned was Kyron loved to play Skylanders with Q. We know Kyron played Wii with Kaine. And apparently to date Q and KH are avid gamers. I do not kniw Skylanders; is it one of those games where one can play in a group whichhas friends (Q, KH) but also of necessity strangers, who expectably are not all children and some likely maladjusted? Did Kyron have access to Wii when either or both adult Hormans were busy? With James’ move, Terri lost an extra set of eyes on Kyron in the home.

Are you sure she said Skylanders?
    B

17. Rose says:

ot one site said this is the owner of privately held Lamar Ad, apparentky incirporated in lake oswego with offices in eugene, salem, portland
    imo owning this digital billboard biz, with its corner on airports and
    buses, is likely more lucrative than owning banks, and donations to ncmec or whatever 501c3 are
    smart deductions. His father’s 2014 obit is admirable.

18. Rose says:

wish desiree would focus on photos of the science fair event

19. Rose says:

it seems the month of June is when the OR legislative houses pass a budget.
    been going on since January. OR State Police published their budget request alongside the Gov’s Budget (cuts).
    Hearings held furst before Comm on Public Safety (iirc Jeff Barker’s?)

20. A Texas Grandfather says:

Rose

I am not surprised to learn from your link about the extended role that the House Energy Committee has regarding health care. There are so many areas where a committee has reach that citizens do not know of.

Hospitals use a lot of energy and there may be funding to help with the costs. If there is funding, then there will be rules and regulations that must be followed. This means that the committee has oversight of the Department of Energy and any health related issues.

The tech issue is probably associated with control systems for pipelines and power lines and other energy delivery systems which could involve trucking and rail car movement of fuels.

The government entities have grown so numerous that citizens need a road map to follow what they really are doing.

21. Rose says:

@Blink iirc that 2013 Act put a cap on % going to Admin expense (salaries; Old Town Alex hdqtrs on Prince Str no less; etc) so they’re getting that elsewhere. I will recheck. btw similar firms do lower $ rentals in say Reston VA.

They must spend $32mil of the $42mil on non-salary operational needs. My view on that after reading their 990 is that is exactly what they do.
    B

22. Rose says:

@Blink. Skylanders is what I wrote down when watching the Youtube but gosh only knows. I am unfamiliar with this game generation. And, I would not let my child play a game where his partner or nemesis was not physically in the same room. I was the most brilliant mother playing mario & luigi, but lost my appetite when my 5 yo got a double greenstick racing me in real life playing the characters. And, I learned that while a young boy can appear exceptionally bright due to say nonverbal gaming competence, or a young girl have a very quick processing speed, that has no correlation whatsoever with intelligence (IQ). So when DY says “bright,” that’s very lay anecdotal to me reminding mev of where I once deludedly was.

23. Rose says:

@Blink. re “Top dude makes nearly $500K, head of HR making over $170K. That’s correct, head of HR in a nearly ALL VOLUNTEER $42 mil funded 501c3. Not making any accusations here, but Walsh was a co founder and they pay $18K a year in his medical insurance and his kid is employed by them at $78K a year.”

Oh Lord. And a Prince Street address.
    Even the politically dominating and wealthy Fellowship Foundation took a close in but cheap Arlington VA loc.
    you explain why the NCMEC trots out Walsh for validation of their PR at every turn. In the current climate, gotta keep a health ins source, esp when stations have a history of waving bye.

24. erose says:

Wiki shows the first Skylander game release (10/13/11) after Kyron’s abduction.

Yes ma’am. You are exactly correct- and why I posed the question. If DY said that, it would be yet another example of false information. My question is why?
    B

25. Rose says:

my head hurts looking up ncmec 501c3 bcz it looks like it’s primarily a lobbying organization (lots of Hill testimony) in which case Prince Street, Old Town makes sense: kind of K Street on the cheaper side.

26. Rose says:

to the extent this is a self-interested lobbying
    org (those salaries) imo PR opps like D and K
    are tools for a greater cause imo.

27. Rose says:

I finally got it. imo You asked “Skylanders?” for a hint,
    tho the Youtube said “Skylanders is one of his favorite
    games to play with his brother Quinn…” You must’ve
    picked up, as I did not, how similar that game name is to “Skyline.”

Actually, you are quicker than I- I did not. I just knew I had never, ever heard mention of it before (in 7 years) and usually when that happens it does not pass my fact check, lol.
    B

28. Rose says:

do you think mcso “detectives” ever wondered if
    a Skylanders’ scenario was being acted out?
    (capture of …?) I do not know this game,
    but games often have “capture” scenarios.

I must admit I do not know much about the Skylanders franchise, but I do know the game was not launched until after Kyron’s disappearance and the “Academy” TV show is very recent. Perhaps she got the name wrong? Dau was NEVER a gamer, but son at that age was a gamecube kid- with strict rules about playing time. Two kids and sports and schoolwork never presented much time for it to become a problem- they are not plop down and watch TV kids either to this day.
    B

29. Rose says:

thatkewlgirl says:
    May 25, 2017 at 7:49 pm
    … sad.”

What is sad is Desiree has no diisinterested expert advisor in the relevant field. And
    she is ill served and advised on every front from relatives, to FB groupies, to orgs who use her for PR.

30. Rose says:

desiree says K played Skylanders with Q, but
    it was not released before his abduction?
    from her mouth to our ears, not
    deliberately imo, but a reflection of her
    functional level imo.

31. Rose says:

“If DY said that, it would be yet another
    example of false information. My question is why?
    B”
    imo benign dysfunction dysfunction.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI