Dr. Phil Show Hosts Missing Portland Child Kyron Horman’s Step Mom Terri Horman Over Two Episodes

I have been covering this case since Kyron Horman disappeared from Skyline School in June, 2010.    Like most missing persons cases I have covered in the past,  I am of the strong opinion that best efforts at the truth are the only way to propel investigations that, similarly to Kyron’s, have gone cold for one reason or another.   This approach has worked in resolving some of my previous cases.    I am proud of that.  I remain steadfast to the integrity involved in those and future cases.

Over the past 10 months (or so) I have been developing an updated series on Kyron’s case to include my multiple interviews with Kyron’s step-mom,  Terri Horman.   Needless to say as she was the subject of at least three simultaneous cases before an Oregon court and remains a person of interest by the agency investigating her sons disappearance, this has been an arduous and sometimes delicate journey.    Ms. Horman’s experiences during the ongoing investigation of the disappearance of Kyron Horman are critically important to propelling his case and with great hope- finding the truth about what happened to this cherubic and innocent child.    There are dozens of sources,  collateral interviews, forensic experts and legal analysts that also contribute to my series and have done so because of their belief that my motivation is to bring to light information and opinions in such a way that would almost “require” a focused review of Kyron’s case and the likely shaking of that proverbial tree everyone talks about.

Set to publish about 6-ish weeks ago I was asked to postpone the first installment of the series, which I did.  I subsequently learned Ms. Horman was participating in the Dr. Phil program after she completed taping.  Dr. Phils producers were well aware that Ms. Horman had interviewed with me extensively, and anticipated my series would be publishing information that was not known to the public previously in the days prior to her scheduled episode.    When Ms. Horman conveyed to me that she feels obligated to speak out about “her son” in any national medium that will have her,   I most certainly respected that.  I still do.

While Dr. Phil seems like a gregarious fellow for sure,   I have zero interest in being associated with his program, nor do I believe his shows content is designed to do any furtherance of investigation or truth.  There is much concern (although I have no affiliation to the show whatsoever) that the timing of the publication of my series on the Kyron Horman matter might be interpreted differently or inadvertently contribute to the programs content or audience reactions.     Not what I signed on for.   A missing 7 year old boy six years running is not a framework for entertaining a target audience.   He is not fodder for online social media bully campaigns- yet it occurs.

I will be publishing my series on Kyron’s case at a later date, in it’s entirety with no editing adjustments as a result of any of the appearances on Dr. Phil.   I appreciate your patience and your understanding.   Feel free to discuss the show below.

Related Posts:

4,883 Comments

1. Rose says:

ot https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/08/from-expensing-a-yacht-to-chasing-the-onion-i-watched-newsweek-die-from-the-inside-216948
    mentions the monetization & click bait
    business model. A model likely behind O
    terminating 11 more reporters recently.

Brilliant Post-
    In sum (for me) “…The irony is that this click-bait, aggregation approach is dumb and dated. It’s the approach of The Huffington Post circa 2004, a model HuffPost, as it is now called, has since discarded…”

The second your model is based on click-throughs, you may as well throw yourself on the fake news pile.
    It would be super interesting if a subscription owner ever sought damages of some kind based on it- it seems like litigation is the only way to address problems or regulate anymore. Left to their own accord editors are more concerned with advertising cash than they are journalistic ethics and integrity.

2. A Texas Grandfather says:

I agree Rose about the tort lawyers. Tort lawyers are one of the reasons that our public schools are in such a mess. However, Texas does have the frivolous lawsuit law on the books that many states do not have.

Integrity and moral values are important in good government, schools and business. Without them, those that are harmed are forced to get justice via the courts.

3. T. Ruth says:

@A Texas Grandfather says:
    February 8, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for sharing. A step in the right direction is better than two steps backwards! If nothing else, this brings up a subject that I’m sure will hit the newspapers and perhaps bring this disgusting trash-passing habit to the front stage across the country. I’m sure many people with school age kids aren’t even aware of what the heck has been going on in our schools: throwing rotten apples between schools, and all while they are receiving pay and benefits!

*************
    @Rose,

I knew Terrones eventually followed Keefer to George, but I thought he was absent from Skyline school year 9/2010- 9/2011.? You sure? I recall trying to figure out where he had gone, perhaps I just thought he was gone. Oh wait, I think there was one more who was also employed same job as Terrones….name’s escaping me…. Robert somebody. When I have time I’ll go back and look. (I believe he may also have been just P/T.)
    Mastin already had his job set up in Albuquerque in August 2010, IIRC.

Anyway, this “passing the trash” makes me sick! Just like when one actually throws things away, there is really no “away”. Perhaps this is PPS’s take on teacher environmental recycling? Just kidding! We all know what it is, it’s a CYA for inept administration policies and people just plain not doing their jobs.

4. Rose says:

this year’s Pres. is Krafve.
    Their Conference case presentations seem to be heroically
    solved cases. An OSP Cold Case detective is a presenter this year.

I am a fan of professional development as you know- most especially in the area of cold cases in jurisdictions with very little training of their investigators, etc.
    That said, an example of what irks me is this case presentation: https://oregonwashingtonlawmen.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/owla-fall-2014-training-announcement.pdf
    Jeffrey Cutlip. The description of the case presentation is more than misleading. Naturally I do not know ultimately how the case presentation was structured before the participants but to your point and use of word “heroic”- it seems its’ “billing” is misleading to say the least. Cutlip called from Brownsville and confessed to three homicides, the first was classified as an accidental drowning and never re opened until his confession. The coroner missed a brutal sexual assault and apparently forensic evidence that the victim had been restrained over a period of time prior to death as well as other evidence of assault that could not be explained by an “accidental drowning”.

If it was presented as a serious learning tool- to highlight the errors in a case that took over 30 years to solve and claimed 2 additional victims (he lived in same building as vic 2) and was ultimately solved by the serial offender calling out of the blue- then I take my misgivings back. Having attended a few of these- I doubt highly that was the case. Cutlip is and was a textbook BAU serial killer profile in every way. DId anyone bother to tap the FBI?

5. Rose says:

yes iirc it was a Robert somebody.

6. A Texas Grandfather says:

Thank you T.Ruth

There are close to 1100 school districts within the state of Texas and that does not include the private schools. Having taught in the public schools in three districts along with private lessons, I have been a witness to five “pass the trash” situations.

I am dubious of the ability of the TEA to properly address the important issues. Government does not work quickly and accurately enough to clear this issue. However, it has come to the attention of the Texas senate and house of representatives and now the Governor is doing something. And, as you point out that alone will inform parents of the problem along with publicity to the general public.

7. T. Ruth says:

Well, Rose, at least I’m consistent, you’re right Terrones was back in 2010/11 year, (I just remembered looking at it wrong in the first plae!).

Here’s what we’d come up with in 2015 as those who did not come back to Skyline in 2010/11 school year:

In any case these are the people I came up with as not coming back to school for the next school year following Ky’s disappearance:

Kooning, Jill 4/5

Mastin, Paul Math/Lng. Arts 6/7/8
    Moylan, Kenny Head custodian
    Cox, Stephanie Counselor
    Yates, Nancy School Psychologist
    Saliva Robert, Para educa.

Porterfield, Molly
    Masic, Selim

Note, Frischmann, Katrina Math/Sci 6/7/8 IIRC, she married and did come back as Katrina Arras.

Did Stephanie Cox became Stephanie Shaivo and take over the school psychologist position instead of counselor? If so, we can scratch her off as well.

Now, that being said, we still don’t know for sure if the FB conversation between BG & Ms.K was indeed rumor or if whomever they were referring to actually did not leave, but had perhaps threatened to, but stayed on. ( Maybe a “potential” whistle-blower who stayed on with beni’s? IDK.) But the actual teachers that did leave and not come back are as above. Unless we somehow don’t have 2009/10 list right. Only “teachers” listed are Kooning, Mastin & Salvia, right? Others are staff positions?
    ****************

Good God, what will it take for LE to release some more information on this child’s disappearance? He turns 16 years old this year!! If he was abducted and held captive by someone for some sort of sexual pedophilia pleasure (or if LE believes he was trafficked by someone for the same purpose), that is probably about over now due to his age.

There must be ‘something’ they can release that might help find this child and solve this mystery.

************
    @Blink Do you know where Ben Keefer was on June 3, 2010?

T.Ruth- I would answer you this way- I do not have verification from Mr. Keefer as to his whereabouts on June 3, 2010 and as you know I am a verified facts person, lol.

8. Rose says:

@TRuth. Haven’t read this, but google says someone on this pg noted Robert Salvia, paraeducator, did not return in F’10. Iirc both he &Terrones were not on the List. I specukated he was the one a spec ed para subbed for that day.
    Over several yrs most of the very large no (for the sch population) of paras left as did those married OTs, and I speculated it was because the no of IEPs with those services diminished over time.

9. Rose says:

ot
    See picture (on Chicago to NYC train, the one with the “steroid”-like arms) for next opportunity for mcso corrections & patrol deputies with the new DHS budget $ passage. retire from MCSO on PERS and go to Fed govt for 5 yrs and a second retirement.

Wanted to make sure you saw my note re your epic editorial/docuseries post.

10. Rose says:

@ Blink. yes, late yesterday.
    However, I had confidence there is method in yr moderation
    & ripeness. I’ll accept the “crazy” compliment. Since my post was
    stream of consciousness, I bless moderation. I have been pondering
    longer the Nasser story set amidst So Michigan subcultures which imo
    make it unique. I have been familiar since the 70s, but lately said subculture has hit
    home & is painful. Eventually I’ll post that observation on aspects of
    Nasser’s unique environment imo.

o/t: Lol, the opposite of “crazy” ma’am. But, if it were, you should know I will always have your “back” and the collective “backs” of our esteemed colleagues here.

I always feel like for me to state my opinion on a current matter I need to have researched and written on it. I have been trained in the method of “facts matter”, likely to a fault. When I ponder the phrase Michigan subculture- what immediately comes to mind for me is OCCK. I worked extensively on that case, became friends with a few family members of one of the victims and it will haunt me always. It is a case where my specific training re profiling and motivations of criminal pedophiles and criminal pedophile abductions/homicides was likely “born” and should have produced some more meaningful work. That said, even though we have been partially successful on occasion in getting a few investigative records released- as long as Cooper and Walton are in power the case will remain unsolved and an elderly Father of a victim fighting for a chance to know what happened to his son before he dies will continue to be re victimized. My point- part of me feels like certain offenders of a certain age and demographic have knowledge or were involved or affected in some way, even tangentially.

You know,

11. A Texas Grandfather says:

Rose

The retirement programs work many ways. Such as State police, then a position in another LE agency such as county sheriff or local police department and as you point out with the increase in the personnel of the Border Patrol it is part of the mix as well. This happens in every state.

In the link, some are being surprised at the distance from a border that the officers are allowed to work. In Texas, a manned border station is 35 miles North of Del Rio about two miles South of the intersection of hwy 277 with 377. In Brooks county. the station is 80 miles North of the border at Falfurrias on hwy 281.

The border with Canada and the states adjacent to the Atlantic coast have long been short of patrol officers. With the crackdown on illegals, these states will see a lot more of this activity.

12. erose says:

o/t Rose, Did I miss the outcome of the eye surgery? If you have already had it, I see it hasn’t slowed you down any.

13. T. Ruth says:

Re: Rose’s link above

I’m not a tweeter or whatever they’re called, (don’t have one of those accounts) but if I were and I was a student who was ever enrolled in PPS who was blown-off for complaining about improper conduct or a teacher who had been reprimanded or ignored for attempting to blow a whistle, or a parent with kids in any PPS school who are now appalled at what’s been going on, I’d be demanding the names of those involved in this cover-up as far up the ladder as it goes. PPS needs a “Me2″ movement. If there are indeed more good teachers than bad, more good administrators than not, then they need to get together because there is always power in numbers, and by not naming names here in this report, it makes everyone look bad, while those responsible for the CYA go unscathed. #PPSTruthOUT! Or something like that, or maybe #PPSkids1st!

I never tire of saying this: How can Kyron’s bio’s be happy with Kyron’s investigation, especially in the light of the new reports showing PPS’s tendency to cover their own ass’s? Do they still think that the information MCSO asked for, but was purged by PPS was a coincidence? In light of these new stories, common sense says otherwise. Damn! Why didn’t someone sue them back then! Grrrr.

WORD.

14. Rose says:

What is true to me is it would have been in character and consistent with her behavioral history for the PPS attorney, now with Miller Nash, to promptly threaten every employee witness in the building with firing but worse than firing, with additional retributive personal lawsuits by and from PPS, if they were forthcoming with mcso interviewers about all they witnessed, and further very likely directed each employee witness to be UNtruthful, and to as quickly as possible single out and blame one known convenient culprit, the stepmother. And all those directives, by email to each employee, imo were then expunged from the PPS system.
    As for the bios, don’t look at what they have ever said about wanting Kyron home, look at their behavior, what they’ve DONE. They have done 2 things:
    1) gone after the same target PPS conveniently lined up behind (isolated incident)
    2) gone after money that was easy pickings from the public (not the work of a PLS suit) which imo parents with feelings of full contributory innocence would have done).

Nobody will ever convince me that whatever “edata” was being referred to was actually lost or erased or “expunged” unless it was done willfully by some party. In which case, one better have an investigative file as to Who, how and why as part of those Kyron case binders. It is not a matter of national security that I am aware of- but I refer to the recent “50K lost texts” by FBI Samsung users- Seriously. Embarrassing. 24 hours later they are available.
    To my knowledge, that was also not referring to any emails that may have originated from or included the Hormans- those were generated by the parties in discovery afaik.

15. Rose says:

@TRuth. imo the reason staff emails and voice messages of June 4-6, or the first week or so, were expunged was not mere IT or “system” carelessness despite an investigator’s eventual interest, but to expunge intra-PPS communications, particularly with and from that lawyer & her staff instructing how each employee at Skyline should handle the interview requests, first from investigators, second with attendee parents, third with the public.

16. Rose says:

36 yrs with PPS, who hid his problem

I have said it before and I will say it again- in my view, persons in positions of public trust, subject to “public” and/or protected FED/STATE pensions should be required to face enhanced scrutiny measures.

17. erose says:

I don’t understand why the school retains jurisdiction over felonious acts.

Right.
    Involving minors potentially, subject to a standard and duty of care no less.

18. erose says:

Wish someone could dig into Whitehurst’s connection to the leadership, if true. Maybe those Skyline teachers will start to retire and talk.

snip>

Nobigots
    3 days ago

@tombdragon I has the displeasure to work with Whitehurst. Many of us complained to the school administrators about him. Do you know now why we didn’t go public? I know you dislike teachers, and me in particular because I comment on your comments. We knew if we went to the district we would lose our jobs and Mitch would walk away unscathed. Whitehurst had some connection to district leadership. What that was we didn’t know. But we knew it was real. I escorted my students, at their request, when they had to meet with him one on one, in his small cramped office.

19. Rose says:

PPS HR Attorney Sloane, of Whitehurst-Soto “fame,” has her credibility at stake along with Jollee, in 2011.
    Who’d a thought in 2010 PPS was a thoroughly corrupt system with so many lying administrators?
    It seems to me a high school guidance counselor knew or should have known how corrupt Legal & HR were in PPS. What stands out in my 8 yo memory was an appreciation of Supt Carole.

20. T. Ruth says:

erose says:
    February 16, 2018 at 1:08 am
    “We knew if we went to the district we would lose our jobs and Mitch would walk away unscathed. Whitehurst had some connection to district leadership. What that was we didn’t know. But we knew it was real. I escorted my students, at their request, when they had to meet with him one on one, in his small cramped office. ”

************

RE: the comment from an apparent former PPS teacher posted on Olive above:

Hmmmm, let’s see….decisions….decisions:

Turn in Whitehurst = *possible* demotion or job loss, but kids’ protected.

Don’t turn in Whitehurst = keep job and PERS in a school system where kids are not protected.

**************
    What’s to think about? #PPSKids1st! Nothing to ponder in my book. If one is aware of kids being mistreated (in any way!) by another PPS staff member AND there is proof, particularly when the poster implies “many of them complained”, as in there were multiple people (adults/teachers) who knew what was going on, I would NOT stop if my complaints were ignored at level one. I would go on up that damn ladder until I found someone who would do something about the situation. Right on out to the school board and continuing up that ladder to other elected officials, attorney general, state reps, whomever! If it was illegal activity as well, LE! And they would have received documented details about the complaints against Whitehurst and the behavior of my superiors in light of them! The poster even knew “their students” needed an escort for cryin’ out loud! In the long run, whomever that poster was, would have been considered a hero. It’s a shame they chose a paycheck over their kids’ needs. Of course it’s a shame they felt the need to have to choose in the first place and needs to be investigated, but that feeling comes from information processed *within* themselves.

Frankly, I would not want to work for an organization that was so coercive and immoral and I would not have been afraid to lose my job because I stood on higher moral grounds. After seeing my complaints acknowledged, I then would have gone elsewhere to find work, with a very clear conscience if nothing else. IDK, maybe I just see things too black and white.

21. erose says:

The message I am getting from multiple directions is we do not have a see something say something problem, we have a say something DO something problem.

22. A Texas Grandfather says:

T.Ruth

In today’s public environment of protecting bad behavior of adults and youths, it takes more than one brave individual to force the clean-up no matter the name of the organization.

It takes a group of people who organize for the express purpose of exposing a situation along with someone who understands how to get the media involved. Media exposure by a large group of complainants gets the public’s attention and prevents retaliation against individuals by those who would retaliate in order to cover up a situation.

23. evie says:

Super! National recognition! Now if we could just convince Nigel Jaquiss to take on MCDA/MCSO/PPS.. he could get to them all via Kyron’s case.
    Surely there’s another Pulitzer waiting.. and certainly a grateful Portland public.

24. erose says:

Another example of schools trying to do the job of police and the judicial system. Sorry for the soap box, but the schools can’t be everything and they sure don’t have the right to usurp criminal prosecution, whether it be “discipline” for sexually abusive teachers or a kid dealing drugs at school, or telling cops to stand down at university rallies. They are over reaching in their authority, then claim they cannot be responsible for everything.

snip>

Beginning in 2013, Broward stopped referring students to police for about a dozen infractions ranging from alcohol and drug use to bullying, harassment and assault. Instead, students who get in trouble for those infractions are offered an alternative program that emphasizes counseling, conflict resolution skills and referral to community social service agencies.

Here’s the problem with that- its like the damn Title IX conflict of interest issues investigating their own we have discussed on here in multiple cases. In the High School system- we are predominantly dealing with minors. Everything that “goes with that” in a legal sense is protected information- if you can believe it, once a kid is in the juvenile system the kids PO’s and court appointed counselors do NOT share any info and are bound by confidentiality. I was once in the office area to pick up Blink Jr for a dental appt and a woman walked in with a jacket that read “Juvenile Probation Officer” and called their “client” out of class for a meeting. Um, wth is the point then?

In my jurisdiction I interned with Juv Probation a few years ago- No kid under 18 who is facing detention or jail can be placed into custody without a prob officer present. My point on that- if that is the case, how the eff can a school think it can handle such issues on their own when they have a complete lack of authority to do so in the first place? On many occasions there are mental health issues at play and I understand there is a drastic shortage of behavioral health resources for this age group nationwide. The answer is not to divert instances that may be precursors to mass murder, ftlog. Above all, there is a standard and duty of care assigned to these institutions and protection from harm from someone with access to the school and students is at the top of the priority chain.

School resource officers are in place and paid for by tax dollars similarly.
    WRT to Cruz, it APPEARS as though they took him as a “threat” seriously and expelled him- but failed from there in protecting from retaliation and access- a threat assessment that nets a threat must be subject to preventative measure- this is not a new or novel concept. Add to that the FBI failed to process a definite confirmation of that risk. The agency I so frequently tout on here, I have trained with, I have worked with in cases and I want to scream in agony for how PREVENTABLE 17 deaths and hundreds of injuries were. Newsflash- as someone trained in their risk and threat assessment profiling discipline- I can tell you unequivocally they broke every rule in their own program.

You would think after learning that Lanza actually hacked into the FBI intranet at the age of like 13, prompting a visit and that information finally being made public a few months back would have caused an internal tidal wave of protocol review and similar tip handling. I am so weary and sickened by our REACTION leading the charge as it is, to now see that we did not even have that benefit to prevent Broward County. God have Mercy is all I can say.
    I thank you for pointing out such a serious problem erose.

25. erose says:

Just to add I see multiple agency failures @ FL, not just the school.

26. A Texas Grandfather says:

The school systems should have zero responsibility for handling students who cannot behave. The federal Title IX is one of the reasons that schools are tasked with that behavior when in fact Title IX is based on unconstitutional processes.

The report to the FBI was lost due to improper system design,. That lack was the cause of the destruction on 9/11 and the resultant creation of the Homeland Security Agency. Here we are 17 years later and little has changed.

The other thing is that these sick individuals and groups who have created these events know from experience that schools, hospitals and some other public places are designated “Gun Free Zones”. If it was known that there were proper protections with certified LE officers and trained teachers with concealed carry licenses these, events would cease to happen.

In my generation, students who could not behave were sent to a facility for juvenile corrections and kept there until age 18.

Given outcomes of late it may surprise you, but I am not an advocate for institutionalizing minors- but not for reasons you may think. It is because the qualified system personnel to EVALUATE their mental and behavioral health needs are scarce and none. I do agree if a kid is showing homicidal ideations or has access to firearms – there should be a restriction on firearms at the residence or anywhere the individual could reasonably gain access.

Discussing Lanza again- a kid with very little ability (if any) to form a distinction between online violent gaming and real life, showing savant level hacker technique, who is given cart blanche access to a cache of deadly firearms defies logic in every sense of the word. His Mother paid for such ignorance with her life before the Newtown victims and once again… PREVENTABLE. That haunts me. So to your point, if the markers are there, I AM in favor of an act now (protection) evaluate later scenario. It just stuns me that anyone is even surprised when the offender is spending (quite literally) ALL of their waking hours threatening to do something they ultimately accomplish- with eaze. Unbearable really.

What changes and advancements have we made Nationally at the PS level that we learned were necessary as a result of Newton, Columbine, or “other”? My takeaway rn is that we learned and implemented exactly nothing and that should be entirely unacceptable.

27. erose says:

I mean, I say uh-oh when the FBI can’t even get an IP address off of a YouTube post.

It’s BS. Had a risk assessment been done- the escalation would have had that kid in custody at the very least on a 12 hour psych hold to remove his access. This is an inexcusable and preventable error and I cannot imagine what that information does to exacerbate the grief of these families. God be with them.

28. erose says:

Evie, I had to check in on NJ. Seems he’s still fighting the good fight. Should we all email or tweet him and ask him to dig into Kyron’s story? I’m up for it.

29. first-time says:

OT: Payton Young, who had been missing from Columbus, OH for about a month was found yesterday, near where she had left her belongings. A very sad day for those who loved her and who had held out so much hope that she was alive. RIP Payton. Mental help for kids and teens – as a society, we are failing.

Oh ft I am so very sorry for your loss. I am so sorry this little light did not get help to get her through this. I know it may be of no consolation rn, but I promise you as sure as I sit here Payton is with God.

We are most definitely failing our at risk youth, 100%.

30. erose says:

Gun Control, Mental Health, School Security, Institutional failures, can we add psychotropic drugs to the list?

31. A Texas Grandfather says:

There was another area that was left out of my post that has a huge effect on youths and adults. That is prescription drugs that have very dangerous side effects. These include the STATIN and SSRI types.

We don’t have information about possible drugs for the Florida shooter.

The Israelis have perfected a process of protection of the schools from terrorist attacks. We should look at what they have implemented. They have not had a school shooting in the last forty plus years.

“I am in favor of an act now (protection)evaluate later scenario.” Is exactly what I described in my sending these students to a correctional facility where they could be evaluated by trained people.

In Florida the NAACP got involved with stopping arrests of minorities for bad behavior in the schools. Very little has been in print about this agreement between LE and the schools.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI